February 16, 2007

One fine morning- An Interview

This was my second interview and I suppose, I had improved a lot since the first one. And, mainly that was because I wanted everything to go well this time. I was there to have someone judge my technical knowledge- no wonder I was being interviewed for a programming job- which I always thought I was bad at. But, may be I wasn't very true with my biased opinion regarding it because I could pull it off very easily. The reason could be anything- smartness, eagerness or frustation. I don't know!

This is how it went-

Indu: Good Morning, Sir!
Interviewer: Morning. Sit down.
Indu: Thank you, Sir.
Int: How are you?
I: Fine. Thank you.
Int: Tell me about yourself.
I: blah-blah-blah
Int: Nice. So, you have done your engineering in... (looking at my resume)
I: Control Systems
Int: Okay. (Asked about my college)
You wrote C, Java in software orientation.
I: Yes, Sir. I had these courses in my first year.
Int: Both?
I: C in first and Java in III-II
Int: Ok. Shall I ask questions from these. Or, do you have any favourite subject?
I: Control Systems
Int: Ok. Have you heard about open-loop and closed-loop?
I: Yes sir
Int: Which of these do you think is our recruitment process?
I: Sorry, sir...
Int: What does our recruitment process comprise of?
I: Test and interview
Int: So, what is it? open or closed?
I: Sir, I think it's completely an open-loop process because if it were a closed-loop, you would take feedback from the candidates after interviewing them. But, you don't take any kind of feedback from us. Based on what inputs/answers we give, you solely decide the output i.e., the result. So, it's an open-loop process.
Int: (Smiles) Good.
You know sampling theory?
I: Yes, sir.
(His mobile rings)
Int: Excuse me!
(Talks over phone for few minutes and returns)
Int: I am sorry.
I: It's Ok.
Int: Where were we?
I: Sampling theory...
Int: Yeah. So, can you explain it?
I: Yes Sir. (Blah-blah-blah)
Int: Good.
I: Sir, can I ask a question?
Int: ahh... Let me ask you first. You can ask later. (Smiles)
I: Yes sir. Of course. (Smile)
Int: I want to know more about your family background
I: blah-blah-blah.
Int: Any other siblings?
I: Only brother.
Int: What is he doing?
I: Working with (some) company as an analyst.
Int: MBA guy?
I: Yes sir.
Int: You don't have any plans of MBA? CAT?
I: I took CAT last year, Sir. No plans of taking it again in the future.
Int: Ok. GRE? any plans of going abroad?
I: No, sir. Not really.
Int: Good.
(Few more technical questions)
I: blah-blah-blah
Int: Good.
Hobbies?
I: blah-blah-blah
Int: You wrote painting. What kind of painting?
I: Sketching and oil painting.
Int: You bublished them somewhere? Or...
I: No sir. Just a hobby.
Int: You are an electronics graduate. will you be able to cope with the work in a software firm....?
I: Sir, I am a fast learner. And, considering the training sessions that I would be attending, I don't think learning anything will ever be a problem.
Int: Good.
Career orientation? Goals?
I: Short-term, long-term goals. Blah-blah-blah
Int: Good. Good.
Ok. Any particular technology preference?
I: No Sir.
Int: Any specific work location preference?
I: No Sir. Anything should be fine, I guess. (Smile)
Int: Good. (Smiles)
Now, any questions?
I: (Asked a couple)
Int: (Answers)
I: Ok, Sir.
Int: Ok, Miss. Very good. Thank you! (Smiles)
I: Thank you, Sir. Good day! (Smile)

6 comments:

  1. Great Interview!
    Btw , which company?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Apologies for cross posting. This is not spam.
    Hello Hyderabadi Blogger:
    We have a plan to unite all Hyderabadiz: Calling out to all Hyderabadi bloggers.
    We are trying our best to gather as much as possbile (I mean the sound and the fury, show and tell, look and feel of our true colors).
    Push, pull or try your best to bring more people join the event of uniting Hyderabadi Bloggers.
    Best, MT and the Team of Hyderabadiz

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats great
    we are doing control systems this year,..and this interview will help us a lot as next year we will also come across such thins..
    good blog..bookmarked..

    ReplyDelete
  4. good indu
    all the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. good indu
    all the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. @damanpreet: i thought control engg.is the rarest of specializations.. gud to knw tht there are few others too. :)

    ReplyDelete